Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Arizona as Home

For a very large part of my life I resented Arizona.
I hated the heat. I hated the sun. I hated the way the lawn was never green. I hated how my dogs smelled of sunshine and dust and sweat. I hated how the air conditioning in the car was never cool enough until I got wherever I was going. I hated how dry my lips got and how easily they burned.
But recently, I've thrown my hate to the wind and learned to love the beautiful city and state I live in. There are mountains to hike, sunsets to capture, parks to walk through late at night. One of the most amazing sights in the world is a three hour drive away, and the nearest beach is only six hours away.
Phoenix is a diamond in the rough; an oasis for art and culture shrouded in rock, dust and dirt. It is a place you need to learn to love. Those who visit often come in the winter, when Phoenix provides a calm escape from the winter snow found elsewhere. Those who love Phoenix, though, endure through the summer heat and take short trips to cooler climates (usually San Diego or Flagstaff.)
While I love Arizona very much, I would like to live elsewhere for a short amount of time. I have a mentor who lived in Arizona for 8 years of her life, and is returning back home to Oregon (the state she fell in love with.) I would love to do something like that.
Perhaps I shall move to Portland someday to get a glimpse of life in the northwest, or to Virginia to get a taste of the political atmosphere. I could even move out of the country, live in various remote villages of South America and Africa.
Either way, I know I'll always return to Arizona. My roots are here, as is my heart.


Saguaros

No comments:

Post a Comment