Monday, March 11, 2013

Adventures in the Kitchen


When I’m in a good mood, I bake. When I’m in a bad mood, I bake more.
I'm in a bit of a funk lately. I'm planning a difficult schedule to juggle next semester, I just ended a three and a half year relationship with my boyfriend, and one of my close friends is getting married which just makes me feel old and somehow inadequate.
So I spent some time in the kitchen last week baking cupcakes, and some time in the kitchen baking cookies tonight. Who knows what else I'll whip up this week. (I definitely have to make a batch of homemade funfetti cupcakes for a birthday party on Sunday night.)
This is the batter of flourless peanut butter chocolate chip cookies, which are basically gluten free.
I was aiming to make ones like what I can find at Fair Trade Café here in Phoenix. The make the best gluten free vegan chocolate chip peanut butter cookies, but at $1.50 for two little ones...it's not cheap.
These cookies definitely matched the ones from FTC in taste, but not so much in shape. Instead of being cute little blobs of sugary peanut-y goodness, I got flat chips of sugary peanut-y goodness.
All in all, three and a half out of five stars.
My only problems is that they don't look cute at all like they did in the photos provided on the recipe website.
Also, they're a pain in the arse when it comes to getting them off the cookie sheet. I ended up sliding the entirety of the parchment paper onto the metal rack to cool. Not easy.
On the bright side, they taste delicious, and everyone at the office (who gets one--this wasn't a high-yielding batch) is going to be happy to eat them.
Coming soon: A post about my weekend trip to Tucson!

No comments:

Post a Comment